GENUINE FAVOR

December 30, 2006. While walking on my way to the parking area after I dropped by Ever Commonwealth to buy some stuff that I needed I chanced upon not so old man lying helpless on the floor. A guy with radio, obviously the security of the mall, was beside him calling more assistance. The place was beginning to be crowded.

“ Anong nangyari?”, I asked.

“Bigla na lang nahimatay. Siguro high blood”

More and more people came over to take a look. A lady began to check his pulse. “Wala po ba kayong Medical dito sa Mall?”, she asked the security.

“Wala po.”


Another lady tried to talk to the man. “Wala ho ba kayong kasama?”

“Wala”, he murmured.

“Sino pwede nating kontakin?”

The man reached his cellphone inside his pocket.

The lady checked the directory. “ Sino ho dito?”

“Joseph.”

“Joseph. Eto ho ba?”

“Wala akong load.”

“Naku wala daw load.”

“Ako na kokontak!”, I volunteered. I got a planned sim. “ Anong number?

The lady dictated the number.

“Hello! Si Joseph po ba eto?”

“Ako nga.”

“ Meron po ba kayong kilalang……”

“Jun Molo daw.”

“Jun Molo?”

“Opo.”

“Nandito po siya sa Ever Gotesco Commonweath. Nahimatay ho siya dito. Kung maari pumunta po kayo dito. Malapit sa Jolibee.”

“Ganun ba? Sige punta na kami dyan.”

“Bigyan nyo nang hangin. Huwag niyong paikutan.” The lady carrying his cellphone shouted to the crowd.

The lady who just checked his pulse massaged his arms and legs.

Another lady tried to talk to him so he won’t get to sleep.

I was just standing waiting for some assistance to happen. More staff from the mall came over but there was nothing they could do.

“Matagal pa ba yung Joseph dumating?” the lady with the cellpone began to worry. “Kelangan madala na sya sa hospital.”

“ My God! Ayaw nang gumalaw. Kelangan itakbo na ito. Wala ba kayong service?”

No one from the Mall responded.

“Ako na. Ako na magdadala.” I heard myself saying that. “Hintayin nyo ko. Dadalhin ko sa may entrance yung kotse ko.”

The security carried the man in a stretcher and brought inside my car.

“Salamat po.”, the lady told me. “Nandun na po sa bulsa nya yung cellphone.”

“San po ba ang malapit na hospital?”, I asked.

“Sa Malvar,” A man working in the mall answered. “Ako sasama sa’yo.”

“Pakituro na lang.”

While driving, I was consistently checking on the man by my rear view mirror. He seemed not moving.

“Pare, kausapin mo.”

“Anong pangalan nyo?”

“Jun Molo.” He murmured.

Whew.

My phone rang.

“Hello. Si Joseph eto. Medyo matraffic dito sa Litex. Mabagal ang galaw namin.”

“Okay. Punta na lang kayo sa Malvar Hospital. Nasa Kotse ko na siya. Papunta na kami doon.”

The Ever guy has been interviewing the man until we reached Malvar.

Two men from ER came with a stretcher and carried the man.

A young doctor approached me. “Anong nangyari?”

“Natagpuan naming sa mall. Nahimatay.”

They put some tube in his nose while he was lying on the stretcher.

It was a stroke.

Jun could barely talk.

Nurses checked his wallet for identification.

I decided to wait for Joseph to arrive.

30 minutes had passed when Joseph arrived.

The doctor introduced me to Joseph. Joseph was Jun Molo’s friend from work. Joseph thanked me for all the trouble. Then I left.



Afternoon of the following day, while I was playing with my kid, I did not bother to checked my cellphone when it rang for a text message. And when I checked, it was from Joseph.

“Pre, ikaw ba yung nagdala kahapon nung hinimatay sa Ever? Yung kaibigan nya to si Joseph. Patay na siya kanina lang. Naputukan kasi ng ugat sa ulo. Salamat pre sa pag dala sa ospital”

I felt bad. I had a little disappointment thinking that I did a favor all for nothing. I brought him to a hospital alive! What happened? It is not right to blame the hospital for his death for I want to believe that they are really equipped. Maybe it is really his time.

I talked to a close friend about it. And he told me, “It is really his time Jet. But you know what? He died knowing that there are still people like you who won’t leave him in the mall. “

In one of my previous blogs, I talked about favors. This is one genuine favor. No one would attest that is just for the show. Favors no matter how big or small, no matter how people think about them, have a nice feeling. This one was a big time favor. It was not a nice feeling. IT WAS A GREAT FEELING whether or not there is somebody who will pat me on the back. Jun Molo did not even get my name. But hey, I did something good that day and that made me good inside. That was enough reward for me.

December 2, 2006. Someone texted me.

“Si Alice Diaz po ito. I am the admin officer of the Presidential Commision for the Urban Poor. We would just wish to thank you for your help to one of our hardworking and kind personnel, Jun Molo. Thank you for going out of your way to bring him to the hospital. We appreciate everything you did. Jun has passed away and will be brought to Romblon tomorrow. I hope to meet you. And Happy New Year!”

Comments

b3Rn1cE said…
wow. whatanexperience! i cannot imagine being sane during a time like that. siguro i could have cussed 6482650975934 times while driving hehehe

happy 07 jet :) more deeds (GOOD DEEDS HA)
jonsaint said…
Akala ko cellphone number mo na yung nakatype sa post mo. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Wow! Mr. Saint ka talaga! I cried while reading this entry of yours..coz... this is something I don't think I can do... I'm such a skeptic kasi when it comes to strangers. I'd think na baka scam lang or something. Maybe when a opportunity strikes giving me an opportunity to help out strangers I'd think of what you did for Jun Molo. God bless!
Forever59er said…
May your (dwindling) tribe increase! That was such a heartwarming story. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

STAGE DIRECTOR

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

UST Class 5 CE