DED NA SI LOLO

We’ve watched few Filipino Movies during the weekends. Ded na si Lolo was a winner for me since the rendering of the Filipino ways was made perfect in this movie. I was glued on the video because I began to realise that I already lack Filipino ingredients in a foreign land which become missed longings like Jollibee, SM malls, Tilapia, Divisoria and MRT. Mr Topacio being a veteran PETA affiliate has perfected his craft in writing and directing through this movie. The film succeeded in translating Filipino values, hang-ups, unique funeral practices like gambling, family relationships, humors, culture and irrational superstitions through the well written story. A big part of the success of the movie was the excellent cast like Gina Alajar, Roderick Paulate, Elizabeth Oropesa, Manilyn Reynes, Dick Israel and Perla Bautista who may not be bankable superstars but have earned their rights as respected and refined actors and actresses. The cast made it so realistic. I believe that this was one of the bets for the international competition. I wonder how it will be paired when most of the nuances there I guess were outright Pinoy that might get a hard time being translated in the same way internationally. Pinoy watchers would definitely get to laugh out loud and to be moved with this movie. I may compare this to the English movie Death in the Funeral (I think there is already the American Version) but Ded Na Si Lolo is more moving in all aspects. Thanks to Ben and MJ for letting us watch the movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

UST Class 5 CE

STAGE DIRECTOR