Jacob's Joseph

The first time I have learned the story of Joseph, the son of Jacob was when it was adopted as a children story in a magazine and I was the one illustrating it. While reading and understanding the story so as I would know how I would deliver the illustrations, I was amazed of the character of Joseph. This guy is super forgiving-to-the-max-a-hundred-folds. And he knows how to turn around an ill fate to thinking that God has a good plan for him. And the plan unfolds and geared towards his greatness. The story of Joseph sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? He was sold by his brothers for twenty peaces of silver. He was imprisoned and falsely accused. Yet he obtained his peaceful perception of everything in the midst of painful injustices. He remained faithful and earned the favour of the Pharaoh. And he was exalted to rule Egypt under Pharaoh. He obtained power and used it not to seek vengeance to whoever had wronged him but used it to get back the long lost love of his family especially of his Father by healing the wounds with forgiveness. And it has been hard to dismiss the thought that this is just crap or this just a fairy tale. But this is part of the scriptures and not just a musical play invented by Andrew Lloyd Webber in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. This is God working in the character of Joseph, Son of Jacob. I was so inspired learning the story for the first time that I have drawn the illustrations much better than what I usually did in the magazine with many colours and shades and shadows.

I have not been an illustrator for a number of years now. I never have totally learned to adopt the character of Joseph as my own. It is too bloody hard to heal wounds and forgive especially if the blow was so crashing. My selfish side would say “I wanna get even. Not now, but I have ways to make it happen.” I always kneel before God and pray “Protect me from my enemies. Show me the way to get even.” I believe that God would just reply “The best way to get even is to forgive.” O man! So much for a strategy, Lord. This gotta work or I am making a full of myself. But He is right. There is a spiritual healing once forgiveness is learned.

Come to think of it: what’s next after getting even? Deep down in our heart we long for peace and harmony because that was what we are designed for. And the only way to attain the ultimate desire of our hearts is when we end the grudges. Joseph could only attain his desire to bring back the love of his Father and be reunited peacefully with his family by healing wounds and forgiving. I was watching Joseph the Dreamer, a musical play that was shown in Meralco Theatre by Trumpets Production directed by Freddie Santos the lead role of which was Audie Gemora and I thought that the scene when Joseph had finally met his Father after so many years was touching. O man, doing the right thing always pays off. And the right thing is forgiving.

We should not be bound by wounds of life. We should always be healed in mind and body. We may remember what happened just as Joseph always remembered his years of slavery and imprisonment but the sting of memories can be removed. Yes it is possible by the grace of God. O yeah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE