FITNESS INSIDE

THE MIND

As much as working out is an exercise for the body and vocalizing is an exercise for the vocal chords, reading is one of the forms of exercising the brain. I may not explain how it works. I leave that to the neurologists, psychiatrists, neurobiologists, and whatever deals with the brain. I just knew and I just believe they are making me equipped in maximizing my brain’s capability. There are times I would find myself slow to respond. Those circumstances arise when I got to shelve the potentials of my brain and just to let my whole understanding float nowhere. In other words, when I wonder nonsensically which is not a good habit. It’s like treating your brain like a pig feeding it with lots of minerals being stuffed with fats all over until it can not move and function anymore. As much as the body muscles need a lot flexing and the vocal chords needs a lot of vocalizing, definitely the brain needs to get its motor running. With this realization, reading in a way becomes a daily work out for me whether I utilize it as informative, educational, recreational or entertainment. Reading is a matter of choice. You may find crumpled newspaper out of its use as a tinapa wrapper and begin readings its text. Regardless of the contents of what you read, reading per se is a tool to make your brain fit and healthy.

THE SOUL

Now nourishing your soul is another story. Nourishing your soul is a matter of how you feed your heart. The essence of what you read ushers in to the welfare of your soul. Picking up a crumpled newspaper and glancing its contents to be all slanderous stuff or slimy languages would tell you whether this will contribute to a healthy soul or not and whether this is worth reading. You may be the fast reader in town and you may have the brain equipped to analyze the theory of Einstein but if your soul is patched up with slimes and dirt out of what you read what character would that make you? There were times I was guilty about this because I was not so careful to what I was feeding my brain whether in the course of reading articles, watching movies or simply associating with people. It is so dreadful when I become what I eat. Rationalizing that what we feed ourselves are tolerable and does not affect us at all may be dangerous. How do we suppose to know that the rumoring article, an R-rated film or a sarcastic person is tolerable at this moment, in our present moral-awareness and in our present capacity to conceive? I know I was irresponsible to what I had consistently indulged in the past when I find my mouth speaking unacceptable languages or when I behave unpleasantly or offensively to others or when I realize I have distracted my conscience. I believe tolerability is a matter how fit one’s soul is. Is there any exercise for the soul? Of course. Exercising good virtues and doing good to others, no matter how big or small, such as giving food to a hungry child, patting the back of someone who needs comfort, cheering up a friend who has lost hope, listening to someone who has been misunderstood, writing letters to a lost friend, saying a simple “hi” to someone who needs attention, saying a short prayer for someone who is seeking God’s guidance and so on and so forth are keeping your soul in good shape. Keeping your soul in shape doesn’t oblige you to just go to the limits. Conforming one’s self in a safe zone is always wiser than reaching the tolerable edge. In other words just be watchful. Thus proper diet is important. And the food we need is the daily words coming from the almighty.

INSIDE-OUT

What is important is what is inside. Beauty is within. I have heard that line a number of times and mostly from the answers in the beauty contest. Well it’s true. They say that what is inside reflects what is outside. And I believe that if we want to take care of ourselves, we ought to start inside and out. Not the other way around. Fitness is important to our body and all the more to our mind and soul. We can go weight lifting, aerobics, taebo or a simple stretching in the gym. We can hire a voice couch to enhance your vocal power. Just don’t forget the most essential and unseen muscles inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE