Rainbow's End

While walking from the car park to Christchurch City Council, It has been a frequent practice for me to give a good-morning greeting to Mr. Charlie Chaplin standing on the brick footpath of Tuam Street. The man whose footsteps have been followed by Dolphy, Jackie Chan, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr and hundreds of comedians in the world is always found standing together with his legendary moustache, black baggy suit and cane at the corner of Tuam and High Street. Seeing him standing there with a subtle drollness in the face is sort of bringing me to the black and white movie era. I wish that I would have chance to take a picture of me and Charlie on that very same spot. I thought of bringing a camera and a tripod and making a quick shot during one of those sauntering in the morning. But somehow I was held back by shyness and prudence. I think that it would be less inhibited when I have someone to take the sought-after picture. I need a volunteer!! Charlie is somewhat the welcome doorman for an establishment which looks like a movie theatre. Well I always presumed that it was a movie theatre because the setup suggested that it was a movie theatre. On the external walls of the building are several display windows of movie flicks which have Now Showing and Coming Soon signs on top of them. The entrance is a small version of London theatre. Not giving my good grief on the real surface essence of the establishment, I would just think that it was a movie theatre. The impression of the establishment as a movie theatre has been always in my ignorant understanding until I gave it a good probing gaze. “What the…..” “Now Showing in your own living room.” The establishment turned out to be a film library. I thought of checking out the place. Entering Alice in Videoland, the name of establishment, brought me to numerous high shelves of DVDs on my way to more high shelves until I found the counter which looks like a ticket outlet. At the first glance and in the serious scrutiny I discovered that this is not just an ordinary video rental compared to Videoezy and Blockbuster. It has interesting categories of films. To name a few of the interesting ones: Best Picture Awards, Greatest Films of All Time, 1001 Movies (You Must See Before You Die), Best of the Decades, Films of the Year. It is indeed a film library where you can find all sorts of films you may never imagine you will find again. It claims that it is A RAINBOW’S END for discerning movie lovers. Hmmmmm. That caught me. I immediately figured how to register as a member. To assess my fancy to this new found film haven, I thought of movies that I have wanted to watch again but have failed me in my search for them. In the list which surfaced immediately in my mind then were Field of Dreams, Dad, Boy in a Plastic Bubble and Goodbye Girl. Well whadya know!! They were available. Impressive! I thought of my dad who has been dying to see one movie that he never failed to ask every video city in all corners of the Philippines. The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. I always rolled my eyes every time dad asked the Video City personnel about this movie as if it is gonna happen someday. I gave it a try this time here in this film library. Well! It is available. This is crazy! I can’t wait to tell my Dad. I have refrained from being a movie geek till the day I entered the edifice in the corner of Tuam and High Street. The discovery of this film haven has awakened the veins in me to get to like great movies again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE