Martha and Mary

The story of Martha and Mary in John 11:17-40 is such a reminder to everyone that there is time to work and there is time to seat still. I have heard it every time and even just in my head that sometimes doing nothing is the best thing one can ever do at a moment. We have been introduced to wisdom that in order to win, we ought to push your limit. Yes it is absolutely true. This wisdom holds true all the time. However the question is what are you winning for? What are you trying to achieve? "I gotta finish painting the whole house until the sunset no matter what and so I gotta work double time," you say. And then you achieved with aching back and sore arms and you began asking, “Why in the world did I finish it wherein I still have all the time tomorrow? Now all I need to do is rest the whole night and I have no energy to spend quality time with my kid.”

This reminds me of my fave book First Thing’s First. And it talks about priorities that are put into quadrants. I think I have already talked about this in my previous blogs. Find you true north and work your way towards it. Working your way towards it means that you need to be efficient in all your natural intelligence. Mind intelligence (IQ}, Emotional Intelligence (EQ), Physical Intelligence (PQ), Spiritual Intelligence (SQ). Activities which compromise the uplifting of one of this intelligence compromise your efficiency to achieve something. Studying until wee hours of the morning for a board exam sounds a good idea and then you find yourself having mental block because you compromise your PQ – you did not have enough sleep. You find yourself angry and depressed and you think that the best way is to forget them by consuming a little bit of alcohol and then you find that they are still there the following morning and the only way to get rid of your problem is just clear out your mind and dwell on your spirit (SQ) by just spending quiet time. Quiet Time can be called prayer time, talking to God, meditation or communing with the universe.

Sometimes it is difficult to figure out when we need to stop being Martha and to just sit still like Mary. The world is tricky most of the time that it would not let you know that you’re dragged out of the right track. That is why it is very important to do quality control regularly like finding time everyday to sit still and be quiet and listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE