BULLYING

I first saw the video of Casey fighting back against a bully in school when someone posted it on FB. My first impression would likely that I am more on clinging on the Hero Material of Casey. And then there was the interview with Casey which added up to the image of the boy hero. I have been hesitating on making comments on what I perceived so far till I saw the interview of the bully and his family which is but fair to them who has been demonized a bit from the whole commercialized stories. The network was so descent enough to lay all the cards on the table and let people decide what to pick.

The footage shows 12-year-old Richard approaching 16-year-old Casey and then punching him in the face and then 3 or 4 times in the stomach. On the next swing, Casey snapped, grabbed and slammed Richard to the ground like a rag doll.

In the interview Casey told that he has been bullied over the past three years. He had once been duct-taped across the eyes and taped to a pole and what have you. The ill feelings due to the bullying and torment has built up over the years and as a result he lashed out against the little bully. There was one low moment of his life that he contemplated committing suicide. His father said that he has had no idea of what Casey was going through till now.

My tiny sympathy with Richard goes as far as knowing that this little boy would carry such an image in his adult life and maybe in a lifetime because the situation was used as an example that he is the villain in the story. This is such a harsh exposure to him. However, the flame of the harshness was panned a bit more during the interview. In the interview, it was obvious that he was prompted to say Yes, he is sorry after he already said No, he is not sorry. I think he was not able to redeem himself in the interview because he is whom we perceive he is.

So much opinions, feedback and TV shows that I gathered so far and I still end up true to what I picture it. The video speaks for itself. Really. I mean, really really. The little bully punches Casey on the face. Casey stands still. Bully strikes him again in the stomach. He tries on the face when Casey snaps and gets him. After he slammed him on the ground, he stands still. He could have kicked him in the stomach or could have stumped his head or could have broken his bones. But he just watches whether the little bully is alright. And he walked away. And he walked away. Casey walking away has shown a lot about himself that he is a non-violent person. He did what he did for self-defense. He is just a nice boy. He is absolutely a hero.

Both boys have so much to go on ahead of them. The tide may change. After the harsh exposure, I hope Richard has learned his lesson and will redeem himself. After learning what he is capable of, I hope Casey would make use of his newly found power to execute good examples.

When I was working as an engineer in the Council in the south, I took a seminar about harassment which touched a bit about bullying. Bullying does not happen not only in school but in the working place as well. For that matter I would say it happens everywhere. And bullying has various types. What most of us know, I believe, is the straightforward and obvious harm striking type of bullying.

Physical bullying – hitting, kicking, pushing, hair pulling, biting, pinching, stealing, hiding or ruining other’s possession.

Verbal – Name-calling, teasing, insulting, gossiping.

Emotional – refusing to talk to the victim, alienating the victim from a group, spreading lies or rumors about the victim, make ways to destroy the self-esteem of the victim.

Cyber ( New) – emailing or instant messaging or texting a rumor, creating a website to destroy the image of the victim.

This was rather new to me during that seminar. And I realised in one way or another I was victim as well. There were instances I was victim of being talked behind my back, being alienated, ganged up, teased, degraded which is I think common to all. AHA! So they are bullies after all. Hmmm.

Bullying has been taken seriously nowadays. It has been found out that it is indeed harmful and got to stop. There are government supports in getting something done to stop bullying. Bullying is bad. I am pretty sure that you have one or more experiences of situations about bullying. Which one were you in the situation? The Good or The Bad? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

I am pretty sure that there will be many situations when people will try me. But I know better. Most of the time I will just brush it aside and be mature and not to step down in their level. But in the situation when it is becoming severe, I will remember that there was one Casey who showed the world that sometimes when there is no other option, it is okay to slam the bully to make the point. Give me a reason to snap and I am gonna get you until you wake up. Once I get my point across, I am gonna walk away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE