SLEUTHING

I have been a fan of detective stories in my youth. There has been a time that I was a frequent visitor of many bookstores in order to find out what latest copy of the Hardy Boys or the Hitchcock’s Three Investigators was. I was fascinated with mysteries being cleverly solved. During those times I wished that I would be a clever as Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot. Miss Marple and Charlie Chan. My favorite stories are those books which have endings I wouldn’t have the slightest idea they were coming. The more I couldn’t find a single clue, the more I admire the heroes who cunningly figured them out. I reckon that The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is really a masterpiece of Agatha Christie. Geniusly written. On the other hand I was into action movies. I was also a fan of Bruce Lee. I copied his moves, his haircut and I knew how to play around with the nunchaku just like what BL did in Enter the Dragon. What I didn’t see coming was when Guy Ritchie reinvented the character Sherlock Holmes as an action packed hero in the film in which Robert Downey Jr stars. The movie shows that Mr Holmes is an extraordinary human being who can solve the mystery in just a few minutes of staring and smelling. A clever detective who can fight like Bruce Lee. This I got to see.

Reading so much about sleuthing and gathering facts and completing the puzzles in order to upgrade a hypothesis into full blown evidence somehow has gotten to my system to the point when I found myself enjoying playing Cluedo as a youngster. Hunches and gut feelings will always be in the equation of sleuthing and they just have to be supported with more facts that will define the logic of those unusual feeling. Logic can be tricky sometimes. It can be blurry sometimes in which you may never know why 1 + 1 = 2. Somehow, reasoning put me to question and why this does not add up together. Most of the time, my hunches that there is something fishy going on is supported by result of my nosiness that will bring me to an expression “Aha! I knew it”. Questions pops into my mind when all of a sudden in a spur of the moment I notice something odd on a comment, a gesture or a surrounding which derails the math of reasoning. “Hey wait a minute. Hmmmm.” Sometimes I want to brush it aside but in my experience those brushing aside would encourage the possibility of worsening the sinister of the oddness which will do harm at the end. I learned from experience that I ought to trust my dexterity in identifying evil motives.

It’s complicated to get there. Sometimes I will end up in the truth that I can not handle. Sometimes one can not handle the truth. I guess the truth is perceived to be complicated when I have been immerged so much with false illusions of which I had used to be. The truth can be piercing when in the end I would find out that a friend is not a friend after all but a slimy asshole. Portrayal of a goody-goody, tutti-fruity, non-vice sucker is still a sucker. But I saw it coming. It’s a matter of whether I would be brave enough to further my nosiness to catch the culprit. Well, the truth may be surprisingly horrible but that is how it is when I always have faith that the truth will prevail at the end of the rainbow. Yes, I still I trust that the Truth will simplify life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE