Swaying Against Principles

I was reading an article by Maria Rezza, Head of ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. I was struck by what she says about people who are giving justifications on swaying against principles.  And I quote:

"Evil people don’t think they’re evil, and corrupt people don’t think they’re corrupt. Corruption is endemic in our country because people rationalize it. They split hairs about definitions."

To put in a much simpler or in kindergarten-ish form, there are people who do bad and they think it's okay because blah blah.  Whatever that blah-blah is, that suddenly becomes a license to harm.  Well I put it that anything bad is harmful.

Anyhow, being a smart ass is still an ass.  We know better.  We know what's black and what's white. We know what's wrong and what's right.  But one thing I don't know is how wrong can be right when you put a reason on the action.

"I cheat as long as I am not caught."

"I make fun of him because he is a dork."

"I cut in line because I am old and they should respect that."

"I slander because everyone is doing it anyway and it's just for fun."

"I steal and donate what I have stolen for the needy."


"I put down people so that I can have the leadership which gives  me a chance to serve my people and to serve God."

What?

If every wickedness can be rationalized, our conscience will have all the sweet time saying good job. 

Rationalizing wickedness has been used in order to get away with guilt.  But the only thing that it does to you is blocking your conscience against poking you.

Rationalizing wickedness is not only making a fool of others but also making a fool of yourself.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

STAGE DIRECTOR

UST Class 5 CE