LOG OUT



In the middle of sleeping at night, the Android has robbed me from a complete and very much needed sleep. My body has a nature of waking up around 3 in the morning obliging to the automatic pee alarm. After complying with the call of nature instead of trying to go back to sleep, I used to grab the Android to check Facebook, Instagram or just to gaze at the bright screen. It has been taking a while until I realized that it's time to get up to go to work. What happened? This is not a good habit, I thought. And so I tried to psyche myself not to check on my phone after pee time in the wee hour of the morning. I should go right back to sleep, I told myself. So the next 3-am pee session, I went straight to bed and right away closed my eyes to induce the sleepiness. In a few minutes I opened my eyes and waaaaaa! The bright screen of cell phone was right in front of my face. My arm has a brain of its own taking commands to grab my cell phone and put it in my face. I know that there is such thing as sleepwalking but this a new state of neurosis.

I was dragged to make my life busy with the enticement of modern technology even in the midst of becoming restless knowingly or unknowingly. I know that I am better than this. I know that this is not me. I might be in a certain trance or something. What happened to being more attuned with the universe? What happened to being more spiritual.

As much as we want to be more spiritual, to be more in touch with what is unseen by prayer, meditation, quite time, or simply reading the Good News, so many distractions are widely available in every corner of our realm. To be spiritual can be ignored easily because the online social activities and games are being added up to our agenda for us to be busy with. And then we realize, we don't know how to stop from being hooked anymore.

We are wired more and more willingly as it becomes more and more part of our system. Electronic stimulation is part of the game. We are always logged in to our smart phone, iPhone, android devices, smart TV, smart watch and then I thought: are we becoming smarter and smarter with these choices?

In the midst of being engulfed by the Android and Smart World, I believe that God has not given up on us and He want's to pull us out from the bad habit. The only way to rise above it is to LOG OUT. In the deep set of our heart I know that we long for a spiritual experience because we are not only flesh but also spirit. And that spirit longs to breadth and to consume soul food. And there is nothing more satisfying than communing with the One. If we are honest with ourselves, I know that I am right.

Modern gadgets are wonderful. They have assisted us in so many ways that we have never imagined they could do 10 years ago. We bring along our MP3 players loaded with Christian music to bring you more in a prayerful mood, reflection or meditation. Music is a powerful medium. It is a common language for all. Worship with music can get us closer to God. Reading eBook. Listening to a recorded sermon. Audio books. These are indeed helpful. But there is also a deeper place that we can go in the stillness of our mind and soul by being in a quiet place, quiet enough to hear the "small voice" that has been unheard because of the noise we use to hear. Log out and be still in silence. Appreciate and listen to the music of the beating of your heart. This is you in silence with the earnest desire to connect with the presence of the Omnipotent. This is you with God alone.

Has there been a time that silence dominates you? Will there be a time? Our calendars may be filled most likely with commitments and obligations. But to be honest there are some unscheduled blocks in your calendar perhaps after supper while you are thinking of turning on the TV, while commuting or waiting for your bus service, or the time that vanishes while you are on Facebook. Commit yourself in communing with God during those times. Consider it an appointment - one that should not be broken. Enjoy.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipino Sweet Style Spaghetti

CERTAINTY

UST Class 5 CE